White Ally Toolkit Training
We are pleased to announce that racial dialogue expert Dr. David Campt will be coming to Minneapolis, March 7 – 9, 2019 to teach his half-day White Ally Toolkit training to help us build peace within our spheres of influence here in Minnesota. Dr. David Campt has developed the White Ally Toolkit training to teach allies how to foster constructive debiasing dialogues with the racism skeptics within their spheres of influence.
There will be three separate events while Dr. Campt is in the Twin Cities. You are welcome to join us at whichever and however many events capture your interest.
Challenges and Opportunities for White Allies: Introduction to the White Ally Toolkit
Thursday, March 7, 2019, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Pay-what-you-can
– register online – https://introtowatmar72019.eventbrite.com
White Ally Toolkit Workshop: Part 1
Two dates offered. These sessions are identical – please choose the date that best fits your schedule.
Friday, March 8, 2019, 1:00 – 4:15 p.m. $50pp
– register online – https://watmar82019.eventbrite.com
Saturday, March 9, 2019, 9:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. / Minneapolis MN $50pp
– register online – https://watmar92019.eventbrite.com
For those who attend the White Ally Toolkit: Part 1 and want additional time exploring and practicing White Ally Toolkit strategies, join Dr. Campt for:
Going Deeper with the White Ally Toolkit: Part 2
Saturday, March 9, 2019, 1:00 p.m – 4:15 p.m. $50pp
– register online – https://goingdeeperwatmar92019.eventbrite.com
Optional continuing education credit is available for social workers, nurses, and teachers for these trainings and the Thursday event for an additional fee. See online registration pages for details. Sponsored by www.mnpeace.org
Wednesday, February 13, 2019 – 6:30-8:30pm
Central Midway Building, 393 North Dunlap Street, 4th Floor Conference Room, St Paul, MN 55104
Join us as we begin and continue our work in 2019 for a violence free Twin Cities. Be part of the creative process of what will be our focus this year. See you on the 13th.
We are two weeks away from “10 Days Free From Violence” and the International Day of peace on Friday, September 21, 2018. Our last collaborators’ meeting will be on Wednesday, September 12, 2018. We will meet at the FNVW (Friends for a Nonviolent World) 4th Floor conference room, Central Midway Building, 393 Dunlap Road North, St Paul, 55104.
Flyers and calendar booklets can be picked up at the following locations:
- FNVW, Central Midway Building, 393 Dunlap Road North., Suite 307, St Paul 55104
- MN Zen Meditation Center, 3343 East Calhoun Parkway, Mpls 55408 starting Sunday, September 9, 2018. They will be in a plastic box on the back porch. Please approach the Zen Meditation Center quietly.
Please contact Sharon: firstname.lastname@example.org regarding voter registration at your event. She has only heard from one event so far.
If you need volunteer help (greeters, set up, etc) for your event, please send an email to email@example.com to request assistance.
We are less than three weeks away from “10 Days Free From Violence.” So exciting.
- Next Collaborators’ meeting: Wednesday, September 12, 2018. FNVW, Central Midway Building, 393 Dunlap Road North., Suite 307, Saint Paul 55104. This is our last meeting before the events begin. This is when we will be fine tuning the process.
- Poster boards will be available for pick up for every event. Please use these at your event to have participants sign the poster boards. Then bring these posters to our closing ceremony on Sunday, September 30, 2018. We will put all of them together to form the backdrop of the closing ceremony of “10 Days Free From Violence.” We hope you will be able to donate magic markers for participants to sign in
- Printed calendars and flyers are available for pick up at the following locations:
- FNVW, Central Midway Building, 393 Dunlap Road North., Suite 307, Saint Paul 55104
- MN Zen Meditation Center, 3343 East Calhoun Parkway, Minneapolis 55408
- Voter Registration for your event – Please contact Sharon Slettehaugh, from the League of Women Voters to let her know if you would like them to set up the registration at your event or if you will handle it on your own.
- Julie Penshorn, author, has written a song with Jack Doepke, “I Can See, I Can Be, I Can Wage… Peace”. The rough draft is on YouTube. She has given permission for you to use this song, just mention that she and Jack wrote it and that she has a new book that will be released on September 21 called I Can See Peace.
Following is a message that you can send to all of your collaborators:
I’m writing to share a great community opportunity with you: 10 Days Free from Violence, a 10-day menu of over 60 peace events to foster collaboration for nonviolence in the Twin Cities. We hope that you will attend as many events as you can, especially our Opening Gathering of Nations for Peace and Unity Circle Dedication event at Bde Maka Ska on Sat., Sept. 22nd at 9:00am and our Closing Ceremony at 2:00pm on Sun., Sept. 30th (see the calendar for more details). We humbly ask that you stand in solidarity with us. People all over the world are pledging solidarity with our efforts, including Arun Gandhi, Gandhi’s grandson; Dr. Makaziwe “Maki” Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s daughter from Johannesburg, South Africa; and Scott Witte, contractor at the McMurdo Research Station in Antarctica!
Please share with great enthusiasm our flyer and press release for 10 Days Free from Violence. We’ve drawn our inspiration from Carbondale Nonviolent and the dedication to peace of Fr. Harry Bury, who worked alongside Mother Teresa in Calcutta and was awarded the key to Ho Chi Minh City for his efforts to end the Vietnam War.
T-shirts are now for sale for the Bde Maka Ska event. Every sale will help us fund other events for Twin Cities Nonviolent. Our goal is to have voter registration at each of our events!
Twin Cities Nonviolent is an idea whose time has come! We’re creating a ripple effect of nonviolence, recognizing that peace literacy is not just a goal, but a skill set—and weaving together support organizations to significantly reduce violence in all forms in our area.
Please join us! #WeCanWagePeace
See you Wednesday, September 12, 2018
A podcast in support of 10 Days Free from Violence will air on Saturday, September 8 at 10:00 AM on AM 950 Radio. Listen live or on demand.
We’ve released a Press Release announcing the 10 Days Free From Violence.
We have a new flyer for the 10 Days Free From Violence. Please share it with your friends and family, post it at your workplaces, and otherwise use it to help spread the word about the upcoming events.
David Swanson will speak in the Twin Cities on August 26th at the Veterans For Peace National Convention and on August 27th at May Day Books. The May Day Books event is open to the public and will take place at 7 p.m. at 301 Cedar Avenue, Minneapolis, MN.